5 Ways to be an Encourager
Isn't this the truth?
Our world today is full of so much negativity, sadness and discouragement. A lot of criticism can be found everywhere we look especially in the news and on social media. It is important that we keep positivity and the good things of life going in our day to day living. Encouragement is free to give and doesn't take much effort. We can be the ones to extend encouragement to those around us.
What is Encouragement?
Encouragement: The action of giving someone support, confidence or hope.
I have a deep desire to spread encouragement to those around me, to my family, friends and to those who are on social media. It may be because I need a lot of it myself. Living with chronic pain and fatigue can make a person quickly feel discouraged. Day in and day out of living with pain, stiffness, fatigue and mobility issues can become very rough to deal with. Feelings of isolation from not being able to work or go to community events can bring a person down really fast. Not knowing how you are going to feel when you wake up in the morning or how long a flare of symptoms is going to last. Dealing with medical mazes and medical bills can be just as discouraging.
I have looked to Encouragement to find support, confidence and hope. My greatest encouragement has come from God's promises from the Bible. The encouragement that I have found has made me want to extend it to others. My heart becomes full when I am able to encourage others who are also trying to make it through life.
We all need support, confidence and hope. Where do you look for support? Where does your confidence come from? Who or what is your hope in?
1. bear all or part of the weight of, hold up.
2. give assistance to, especially financially; enable to function or act.
We can support each other through the blessings God has bestowed on us:
Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. Hebrews 13:6
1. the feeling or belief that one can rely on someone or something, firm trust.
2. the state of feeling certain about he truth of something.
Our confidence can come from God and we can rely on Him and trust Him to see us through because He will be with us:
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
1, a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.
When our expectations and desires are fulfilled in God we will never loose hope:
“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
I love the idea of extending support to my family, friends and community when they are in a time of need. Isn't it an amazing feeling that we have people in our lives that we can rely on when we need them? If we don't have these kind of people in our life it is important that we continue to reach out and build community in our lives every day.
5 Ways to be an Encourager:
1. Be Intentional- Take small steps to find ways to encourage others. Keep the idea of being an encourager in the forefront of your mind so when an opportunity presents itself it won't pass you by. How can you extend confidence and hope to those around you?
2. Start Out Small- Check in with a friend you haven't heard from in a while. Send an encouraging text or email to a friend or family member Like or comment on social media, Post encouraging words or image on friends social media. Smile as you greet others in public. Compliment someone on their outfit. Speak encouragement into a conversation. Send an encouraging card in the mail.
3. Keep Your Eyes Peeled- Be on the look out! Did someone mention they are going through a rough time in conversation or on social media? Did someone mention a need that you can assist them with?
4. Fill Your Life with Positivity- Read God's promises, read inspirational books, and quotes. Start a Encouragement board on Pinterest for encouraging pins you come across. Try to stay clear of negative self talk and gossip.
5. Be a Giver- It truly is better to give than receive. Look for big or small ways to give to those around you. Be a blessing. The rewards go beyond anything you could ever receive.
Join the Conversation
Are you an Encourager or want to be an Encourager?
What are other ways we can live a life of an Encourager? Please comment with your ideas!
Love and Prayers ❤